Monday, October 3, 2016

Saturday...nope...Sunday...uh well, Monday in the Garden

GAK

It's been approximately 700 years since I posted anything.  Well actually, nothing since September 12 which is almost 700 years.  I had a big project at work that took over my entire brain and then when I turned that in I promptly headed out for an 8 day trip to the coast of Maine in the U.S.  Maine has been my A#1 spot in the U.S. that I hadn't been that I wanted to visit and boy did it deliver.  It was everything I hoped it would be and more.








In my experience there are Ocean people and Mountain people and it's not as simple as which you like best.  It's what inspires the most awe and peace.  All nature has this effect but I think it's most pronounced at these two examples of the power, vastness and unknowability of nature that have the most intense impact.  I'm an ocean person so this was truly the trip of a lifetime.  And I pretty much immediately want to go back.

So are you an ocean or mountain person?  Or blow my whole theory and say neither?  

OUTSIDE

See above.  I've either been staring at my computer or being stunned by the natural beauty of Maine for the last few weeks.  Quite the contrast in activities!

We had the Autumn Equinox while I was offline which is one of my favorites.  Spring and Fall are special (at least in areas that have seasons) because they are very clear and stark transitions that really make me focus on the cycles of nature.  I sometimes need to be hit over the head with these things and that's just what Spring and Autumn do.  Autumn also makes me feel very witchy and pagan, probably because of Halloween and that whole cycle of nature thing.  Anyway, I am really looking forward to the month of October and look forward to drinking it all in.

Are things starting to feel like Autumn where you are?  Does this make you happy or dread the impending winter:)?


WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching 

Before I left for Maine and in the day or so since I've been back, I've managed to fit in a massive Galavant binge.  I don't think I have the words to adequately describe my love for this show.  It was everything I hoped it would be and is just a complete and total delight.  It's like a huge medieval snark fest with singing.  The cast are talented, the characters charming, the music and lyrics are almost universally fantastic.  I just love it.  I will almost certainly devote a whole post to it but if you have any interest in this kind of thing (and really who doesn't) check it out on Netflix pronto!  Below is one of the great songs from early in season 1 to give you a flavor.


Reading

Finished Since the Last Time I Posted

  • Peace is Every Step by Thich Nhat Hanh:  This is a book of short and somewhat random essays/speeches/lessons by Hanh about mindfulness, gathered together in this book by some of his students. 
  • Enchanter's End Game (The Belgariad #5) by David Eddings: The concluding book!  I've  enjoyed this re-read.  Glad this series has held up.  
  • Sawbones (Laura Elliston #1) by Melissa Lenhardt:  This was a recommendation from Mogsy at The Bibliosanctum and it was SUCH a good one.  I loved this book set on the American frontier that follows a lady doctor who is forced to flee to the wild west from New York.  
  • Once Upon Stilettos (Enchanted, Inc. #2) by Shanna Swendson:  This is a goofy urban fantasy/"chick lit" series that is pretty fun.  It has a great protagonist who is one of the few non-magical employees of a magical corporation in New York.  Very light and fluffy.  
  • Diplomatic Immunity (Vorkosigan Saga # 13) by Lois McMaster Bujold:  This was great and one of the lighter installments of the Vorkosigan Saga.  

Currently Reading:

  • As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust (Flavia DeLuce #7) by Alan Bradley: I was really feeling like this series needed a shake up because Flavia felt kind of stuck so I'm enjoying the first part of this book which has her shipped off to Canada for boarding school. 
  • The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic #1) by Patrick Weekes : A fantasy novel with a heist!  This started a little slow for me but halfway through has picked up speed and I am really enjoying it.
  • Damsel Under Stress (Enchanted, Inc. #3) by Shanna Swendsen:  Continuing this fluffy charming series (see above). 

Added to the TBR:

This is a list of books that I have added to my Goodreads TBR list this week recently.  It helps to burn the books I want to read a little more firmly into my mind, maybe get them on some other folks TBRs and gives me a chance to recognize a lot of the awesome bloggers that add stuff to my TBR!

  • Four Reigns by Kukrit Pramoj: A Thai historical novel that takes place in and outside the royal palace.  I think this was recommended on Book Riot's Get Booked podcast.
  • Bangkok 8 (Sonchai Chitleecheep #1) by John Burdett:  A mystery series set in Thailand, again I think from the Get Booked podcast.
  • Dissolution (Matthew Shardlake #1) by C.J. Sansom:  A mystery series set during the reign of Henry VIII in England.  I think this one may also be from the Get Booked podcast:).  
  • The Thief of Always by Clive Barker: Recommended by a friend this past week.  No idea what it's about but I've liked the Clive Barker books I've read.  


Blogging 

On the BLOG LAST WEEK:

As mentioned above nothing!  It's been a while since I posted.  Hopefully I can get back on the stick this week or next.  


Happy Fall Equinox!

(I know I am kind of mixing my religions here a little bit but I think Saint Francis would have been into the changing of the seasons.)

No comments:

Post a Comment