Saturday, August 27, 2016

Saturday in the Garden | Is it Autumn Already? Pshaw!

OUTSIDE

It has all of a sudden started to feel like Autumn here.  It seems early but this is the time when signals of Fall's inevitability start happening, I suppose.  Everything from school starting to the sweet corn fading and the melons starting to appear everywhere are hints that shorts weather may be coming to a close.

My garden has also started giving me clues.  The peppers are finally ripening and I harvested my first Lima Beans! Now to figure out how I want to preserve them!  My Kale and Chard are also looking their most fantastic so I have a couple of recipes lined up for this week to take advantage: Kale and Cauliflower Pasta, and Braised White Beans with Chard. The pasta dish is new but I've fixed the beans several times and they are very tasty.






WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching 

I picked up Agents of Shield again, finished re-watching season two and just dived into season 3 for the first time.  I'm liking it thus far - Fitz and Simmons are breaking my heart, I want May back on the team but it's fun to see her hanging with her Dad, I, like Coulson, can't get used to Sky now being called Daisy.

It's weird how torn I feel about shows like this that really ramp up the stakes (so pretty much every TV show except sitcoms these days) with each successive season.  I totally get into those increased stakes but I also find myself missing and feeling nostalgic for the simplicity, cohesiveness and gentle camaraderie of the first season.  It's especially weird that I feel that way about this show because the first half of season one was hideously boring and awful, lol.

Reading

Finished Last Week:

Nothing. Nada. Zip.  I'm kind of in ANOTHER slump.  2016 has been such an up and down reading year for me!

Currently Reading:

  • Lair of Dreams (The Diviners #2)  by Libba Bray:  I had an actual Love-Hate relationship with the first book in this series but there was enough love to make me curious about where the series is headed.  I am not not enjoying this book but I'm not making very fast progress.  I just can't express how little I care about Evie and her relationship entanglements with Sam and Jericho. 
  • The Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad #4) by David Eddings:  I am re-reading this series on audio - it was one of my favorites as a wee(ish) thing.
  • Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple #8) by Carola Dunn: Getting back to this series after a several year hiatus.  It's a mystery series set in 1920s London, very light and fluffy.  

Added to the TBR:

This is a list of books that I have added to my Goodreads TBR list this week.  It helps to burn the books I want to read a little more firmly into my mind, maybe get them on some other folks TBRs and gives me a chance to recognize a lot of the awesome bloggers that add stuff to my TBR!

I did't add much to the TBR this week so I'm going to use this space to 'fess up to the shopping spree I just went on at Audible.  They are having a sale of all their most popular past Daily Deals - Lots of good stuff in this sale!!  So for roughly $25 plus 2 credits I had been sitting on that I spent on a couple of regular priced books, I got 12 new audiobooks!  Check it out:
  • Orphans of the Sky by Robert Heinlein, Narrated by Erich Michael Summerer
  • The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie, Narrated by Sherman Alexie
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by Frank L. Baum, Narrated by Anne Hathaway
  • The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett, Narrated by Samuel Gillies (Not on sale)
  • The Rolling Stones by Robert Heinlein, Narrated by Tom Weiner
  • The Inexplicable Universe: Unsolved Mysteries by The Great Courses  - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
  • Wait for Signs (Longmire) by Craig Johnson, Narrated by George Guidall
  • Duplicate Death (Inspector Hemingway) by Georgette Heyer, Narrated by Ulli Birve (Not on sale)
  • Peace is Every Step by Thich Nhat Hanh, Narrated by Edoardo Ballerini
  • The Wild Inside by Christine Carbo, Narrated by R.C. Bray
  • Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, Narrated by Jay Snyder, Brandon Rubin, Fred Berman, Lauren Fortgang, Roger Clark, Elizabeth Evans, Tristan Morris
  • A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn, Narrated by Angele Masters
There were a BUNCH more I was tempted by but I had to cut myself off or it would've gotten way ugly!  Did any other Audible subscribers take advantage of this sale?  What did you load up on?

Blogging 

On the BLOG LAST WEEK:

No comments:

Post a Comment