Monday, May 2, 2016

TOP TEN TUESDAY | Fictional Character Speculations

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme for bloggers who like books and lists. It's awesome and is graciously hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

The topic this week is a fun one:

Ten Childhood Characters You'd Love To Revisit As Adults (ie a novella or something to see what they grew up to be) -- you could always just pick YA characters you've read recently you wouldn't mind revisiting in 10 years or so. Or you could pick 10 characters and guess what you think they'd be doing in 10 years or 20 years. OR you could go the other way and wish for coming of age stories for adult characters you love.
It was also surprisingly difficult but this is what I've got:

**********

1) Philippa from Cut to the Quick by Kate Ross

This is an esoteric one but probably my most hopelessly wished for.  After reading the first book in this series I had the following thoughts:
As a fan of Dorothy Dunnett I was immediately intrigued by the precocious and practical young Philippa who declares that when she comes of age she will seek out and marry Mr. Kestrel.  I choose to think this is a tribute to DD by Kate Ross.  Sadly, I doubt I will be proven right or wrong about this (I’ve not finished the series yet) because of the very sad death of Kate Ross after publishing the 4th book.  So I’ll just continue to believe it is true and that Philippa would have appeared again in a later book all grown up.  Julian actually reminds me a bit of Lymond (if Lymond were a regency era dandy) – good at appearing indolent and useless, never ruffled, rarely revealing an exceedingly clever brain and wit as well as a talent for music and a profound interest and caring for his fellow man.  Yup, I’m convinced, Kate Ross was a big DD fan:0).
My theory was supported by the fact that Ross made a point of mentioning in at least one of the later books that Julian continued a correspondence with Philippa.  Sadly as I mention, Kate Ross died young of cancer so the series was never completed.



2) Cassandra from I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

I loved this coming of age story, especially its teenage protagonist. It has a very bittersweet but wise ending and I'd love to see how the events of the 6 months or so covered by the book influence the type of adult Cassandra becomes.

3)  Flavia DeLuce from the Flavia DeLuce series by Alan Bradley

Even though I am still in the middle of this series it has become very clear that Bradley does not intend to let Flavia age past 11 years old and I for one find that annoying.  I would be really interested to meet an 18 year old Flavia and even a 40 year old Flavia.  #LetFlaviaAge



4) Lucy Pevensie from The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

Lucy is my favorite of the Pevensie siblings and I think she likely grew up to be a spunky and independent woman.  I would love to check in with her, see what kind of career she pursued (a groundbreaking doctor?), and her story of falling in love.  And of course how her adventures in Narnia pop up and affect her.

5) Everybody from The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

I had so much fun with Stars Above, a collection of short stories that included a fun story that takes place about 2 years after the end of Winter.  I just kind of feel like these young folks still have some rollicking adventures left in them even if Levana is 86ed.



6) Veronica Mars from the Veronica Mars Series by Rob Thomas/Jennifer Graham

So maybe Veronica was a TV character first and maybe we have actually gotten to see her grow up into her 20s but I'd love to see how Veronica gracefully snarks her way into middle age.

7) Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

Screw the canon Epilogue. I want a future Hermione, who has kicked Ron to the curb, become a Hogwarts professor and develops a steamy relationship with some new hot and nerdy Wizard.


8) The Avatar Gang from Avatar The Last Airbender by Gene Luen Yang

Yet again the gang originated as TV characters, so sue me.  I love these crazy kids a lot and I have appreciated the graphic novels that have continued the story.  Hopefully they keep going and tell the full life story of all of them.  I know I could get a little bit more from Legend of Korra but every time I think about watching it, I remember that the only way that show exists is that cheery, sweet, cheeky Aang is long dead and I just get too sad.

9) Augustus "Gus" McCrae from Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

My one reverse pick and actually I'm not sure a prequel doesn't exist.  All I know is that I need more Gus McCrae.  I don't think I can live without him really.

********
One short I'm afraid but it was a fun list to think about.  Now I'm looking forward to seeing other people's wish lists because that's really what these are:0).  How about you?  What character would you like to know more about?


No comments:

Post a Comment