Tuesday, April 19, 2016

TOP TEN TUESDAY | Unpopular Character Feelings

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme for bloggers who like books and lists. It's awesome and is graciously hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

So I do know this is not ten books that will make you laugh but I did that topic as a freebie a few weeks ago. Please check it out if you want to stay within the regularly scheduled programming!
Instead I'm going to do a post on a topic that I was disappointed to miss a few weeks ago.  That would be:

Ten Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get or Ten Characters I LOVE But Others Seem To Dislike

I will of course be focusing on my negative feelings because that's just fun.  Here Goes.

************

1) Celaena Sardothien from the Throne of Glass Series by Sara J. Maas

I've only read the first book in this series and I understand that Celaena may improve on further acquaintance, but in book one she didn't feel like a real person to me and there was far too much tell vs. show in her characterization.  

Impulsive/Reckless Characters stress me out and the next two fall into that category:

2) Prunella from Sorceror to the Crown by Zen Cho

I don't hate Prunella but she was definitely a black spot for me on an otherwise fantastic book!

3) Agnieszka from Uprooted by Naomi Novik

I liked neither Agnieszka nor The Dragon so this book didn't work as well for me as it did for most.

Ron asks: Why does ANYONE like me?
4) Ron Weasley From Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

My dislike for Ron was realized during my re-read of the entire HP series last year.  He's really kind of an ass and I hate that he and Hermione end together.

5) Molly Carpenter from The Dresden Files Series by Jim Butcher

Molly becomes Harry's apprentice, his student when she's a teen - she's like a teen boys fantasy of a woman.  She has grown up a bit in recent books but I still get skeeved out by the idea of her and Harry becoming romantically involved and I hate that Butcher always describes her, from Harry's perspective, with an almost lecherous eye.   

Source
6) Karou And Akiva from Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

I think I am the only person on the planet that really didn't like this book and it was mostly because of Karou and Akiva.  Neither felt real and Karou is a serious Mary Sue.  

7) Paksenarrion from Sheepfarmer's Daughter by Elizabeth Moon

Paks feels like a barren husk just meant to be a storytelling vehicle.  She is one of the least interesting and most personality-less main characters I've ever encountered. 

8) Vin and Kelsier from Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

I want to love Brandon Sanderson but I feel like his strengths (based on only the two books I've read) are in deep world-building and developing interesting premises.  Characters?  Not so much.  I think Kelsier is meant to be a charming rogue with a heart of gold but I found him dull.  

9) Diana Bishop and Matthew Clairmont from A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Once again, Diana suffers the fate of being a Mary Sue  - too perfect and too boring to be real - and Matthew's an overbearing, controlling ass. Blech.  I refuse to post a picture of these folks because apparently there is a HUGE push on the internet for "casting" Richard Armitage as Matthew. Just...No.  You will not sully my Armitage.

***********

Okay, I think I've insulted enough fictional characters for one day.  What character makes you scratch your head wondering why everyone loves them?


No comments:

Post a Comment