Saturday, April 23, 2016

Saturday in the Garden | Save the Dandelions!

OUTSIDE

So my plan is to spend a good deal of tomorrow cleaning up the mess above.  Finally, time in the garden. It's gonna happen.  After brunch.

I also want to make a plea for dandelions, the scourge of the suburban lawn.  They are also one of the earliest plants to bloom in the spring (like right now) and are one of the few nectar sources for pollinators this early.  I took a short little walk mid-week and found bees on every 5th dandelion I checked.  So don't pull him all.  Do Less Work - this is what I am telling you!

Also this week - Bald Eagles!
And Blueberries!

LIFE

My brain is dead tonight and I got nothing.


WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching 

Nothing new or special.  Which is annoying because I seem to be going into yet another reading slump.  I'm in book crisis, people. My book reading is broken. Ahem...  But this is the "Watching" section.  I did start to try and watch The Flash as a follow up to my recent Arrow obsession and while I find Grant Gustin as Barry Allen very charming and fun, I once again find the romance subplot insipid and boring.  And romance subplots are important to me.  I've decided based on admittedly minimal data, that superhero comics are crap at romance subplots.  Perhaps that shouldn't be a big surprise BUT you'd think TV producers would pick up on that and decide to go a different direction from the get go.

Reading

Finished Last Week:
  • Timeless (Parasol Protectorate #5) by Gail Carriger: The final book in the parasol protectorate.  It was a lovely ending 

Currently Reading:

  • One Magic Square by Lolo Houbein: A gardening book about maximizing food production in a small space.  An ARC from Netgalley (though I think it's an older title).   
  • The Round House by Louise Erdrich:  I started this in D.C. on my kindle and it pretty immediately sucked me in despite the brutality of the subject matter (violent rape against a minority).  
  • The Wicked and the Divine, Volume 1 by Kieron Gillen, Jame McKelvie, Matt Wilson, and Clayton Cowles
  • The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches (Flavia DeLuce #6) by Alan Bradley: This is a fun historical mystery series that I thought had a planned end but looking and there are two more books listed.  I wouldn't mind but I'd actually like Flavia DeLuce to move forward and grow up a bit.  I'd rather she not be a perpetual 11 year old.
  • The Last Ever After (The School for Good and Evil #3) by Soman Chainani:  Final book in this trilogy questioning Fairy Tale tropes.  

Added to the TBR:

This is a list of books that I have added to my Goodreads TBR list this week.  It helps to burn the books I want to read a little more firmly into my mind, maybe get them on some other folks TBRs and gives me a chance to recognize a lot of the awesome bloggers that add stuff to my TBR!

Nada this week.

Blogging 

On the BLOG LAST WEEK:

TUESDAY: Top Ten Tuesday | Unpopular Character Feelings
THURSDAY: What Does "Having Chemistry" Actually Mean?  Some musings on why some TV couples work so well and others...don't.

Have a Good Rest of Your Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment