Saturday, April 2, 2016

Saturday in the Garden | I am THE WORST Gardener


OUTSIDE

So this happened this week.
My seedlings are in an out of the way room of the house  and I sometimes forget about them for a couple days at a time.  I am a HORRIBLE gardener.  This time around I forgot about them for several days and even though I thought I had left them the last time with the lights and heating pads off, no, they were on.  I gave them all a thorough drink and crossed my fingers.  Thankfully most of them bounced back...
So disaster was mostly averted though I know the taste of some vegetables can be affected by an episode of water stress etc.... Carrots for example.  This is also a good argument for investing in a timer for the lights and heating pads.  It's a dangerous thing relying on my focus and memory.

The only other news on the garden front is that my sugar snap peas have come up.  They take so long to germinate that I get anxious waiting for them.  Last year was a banner year for the peas and I'm hoping for another good season.

LIFE

When Spring rolls around, some people get the urge to deep clean and purge.  I apparently get the urge to add more furry critters to my household.  I've been hankering after adding a couple of bunnies but this week, I even started dreaming of getting a cat.  What is wrong with me?  I am not a cat person!  I also know that my life would be simpler and cheaper without out adding any more fur balls but the yearning is strong at the moment.  I need to channel it into cleaning and purging!

WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching 

Last night I decided I was in a better place to start watching The 100 again.  I watched the first 7 or so episodes a few weeks back,  I liked it a lot but I was super busy and stressed with work and the show is ....intense and surprisingly dark ....and I needed something lighter.  This show.  Man, it is so good.  It continually surprises me, I love the characters, I love the narrative.  It's totally wackadoodle and I love that.  There are a couple of really kick ass female characters who pretty much rule, both literally and figuratively.  I'm totally addicted.  If you are unfamiliar, it is a science fiction show that follows a group of 100 teenagers that are sent back down to Earth from a rotting space station 100 years after a nuclear plague made the surface radioactive.  It's based on a series of books, as is everything that is awesome.

Reading

Finished Last Week: 

  • The Gods of Gotham (Timothy Wilde #1) by Lyndsay Faye: A historic mystery-thriller set in 1800s New York about the start of a police force.  
  • Six-Gun Snow White by Cathrynne M. Valente:  A novella re-telling of the Snow White fairy-tale in a U.S. Frontier setting.
  • Murder in Little Italy (Gaslight Mysteries # 8) by Victoria Thompson: This is a light and enjoyable (for me) historical mystery series set in turn of the century New York.  This series continues to be entertaining and I am liking some of these later volumes more than the earlier ones. 
  • Longbourn by Jo Baker: A story set in parallel to Pride and Prejudice from the perspective of the servants of the Bennet's estate Longbourn.  I loved it!

Currently Reading:

  • One Magic Square by Lolo Houbein: A gardening book about maximizing food production in a small space.  An ARC from Netgalley (though I think it's an older title).   
  • Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones: A stand alone novel I ran across at the local used book store knowing nothing about it except that it was by Diana Wynne Jones:0).  It is taking its time to get going so I hope it picks up the pace soon, simply because that's what I'm in the mood for now. It has an awesome atmosphere, though, that is really sticking with me.  It's been  month since I picked this book up so I'm offically DNFing.  
  • The Round House by Louise Erdrich:  I started this in D.C. on my kindle and it pretty immediately sucked me in despite the brutality of the subject matter (violent rape against a minority).  
  • The Incarnations by Susan Barker: I heard about this book on the All The Books podcast and it sounded really interesting.  Follows the lives of two soul-mates through several re-incarnated lives in China.  
  • Whose Body? (Lord Peter Whimsy #1) by Dorothy L. Sayers:  The first volume in a classic mystery series.  Being a little ways in I feel like I may have read (or perhaps watched) it before. 

Added to the TBR:

This is a list of books that I have added to my Goodreads TBR list this week.  It helps to burn the books I want to read a little more firmly into my mind, maybe get them on some other folks TBRs and gives me a chance to recognize a lot of the awesome bloggers that add stuff to my TBR!

Blogging 

On the BLOG LAST WEEK:

That's all for this fine second day of April.  I hope none of you had to endure any major April Fools and are taking it easy this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment