Saturday, March 19, 2016

Saturday in the Garden | Chives and Why Hello There Books!

OUTSIDE

So it snowed today after three weeks of 60 degree weather.   Not sure what effect that's gonna have on all the plants that were stupid enough to already start growing. Weather.  Sheesh.  Despite the snow I also "harvested" my first "crop" - Chives!  This is one of my favorite herbs to grow because it's indestructible and delicious.  A pretty winning combo:0).

The baby plants under the lights are coming along and making me happy.


LIFE

So I've kind of fallen down on the gratitude band wagon. It's not really that I'm having trouble noticing things to be grateful for but is really more about figuring out how to represent some of those things in pictures.  That takes creative thinking and I've just been too busy and tired for creative thinking.  Merp Merp Merp.  A doo doo doo, a dah dah dah.  The Police rock.  That is all.

WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching 

I am still watching Glee and actually just started watching the first episodes of season 4 which I hadn't yet watched.  It's...weird.  The "new" Glee Club at McKinley is insanely boring  - even the previously unboring Blaine and Brittany.  The music thus far is horrendous.  They're trying to pass off this new character, Marley, as the new Rachel and I don't know what kind of drugs they are smoking - she doesn't hold a candle to Lea Michele.  I hope it improves.  I'm also starting to really dread losing Finn/Cory even though he isn't even in the first couple episodes.  When he does show up, he is struggling with what he's going to do with his life and it's just so excruciatingly sad.

Reading

Finished Last Week: 

  • The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman: A 1960s book about an older lady who becomes a spy.  
  • Sorcerer to the Crown (Sorcerer Royal #1) by Zen Cho:  This was released in the latter half of 2015 and has been raved about non-stop ever since.  It also sounds like a book designed just for me,  Set in Regency Era England it follows the Sorcerer Royal as he tries recover the magic levels in England and give women a place in the magical community.
  • The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence #1) by Agatha Christie: Agatha's branching out into the spy thriller genre.
  • Stars Above by Marissa Meyer:  A compilation of short stories/novellas set in The Lunar Chronicles universe.

Currently Reading:

  • One Magic Square by Lolo Houbein: A gardening book about maximizing food production in a small space.  An ARC from Netgalley (though I think it's an older title).   
  • Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones: A stand alone novel I ran across at the local used book store knowing nothing about it except that it was by Diana Wynne Jones:0).  It is taking its time to get going so I hope it picks up the pace soon, simply because that's what I'm in the mood for now. It has an awesome atmosphere, though, that is really sticking with me.
  • The Round House by Louise Erdrich:  I started this in D.C. on my kindle and it pretty immediately sucked me in despite the brutality of the subject matter (violent rape against a minority).  
  • Murder on Lenox Hill (Gaslight Mystery #7) by Victoria Thompson:  A mystery series focused on a midwife and police officer in turn of the 20th century New York.

Added to the TBR:

This is a list of books that I have added to my Goodreads TBR list this week.  It helps to burn the books I want to read a little more firmly into my mind, maybe get them on some other folks TBRs and gives me a chance to recognize a lot of the awesome bloggers that add stuff to my TBR!

Nothing Added.

Blogging 

On the BLOG LAST WEEK:

On the BLOG NEXT WEEK:

I'm gonna try to get back on the blogging bandwagon this week.  I have a review written and the Top Ten Tuesday is about books I love that I haven't talked about enough.  It might be fun to try and think of some favorites that I haven't already belabored.

No comments:

Post a Comment