Saturday, October 17, 2015

Saturdays in the Garden | The Circle of Life

October 17, 2015
OUTSIDE

It was all death and circle of life in my little yard this week.   The dogs caught and killed a rabbit or at least scared it to death - I didn't actually see it all go down, just heard it and then saw the aftermath.  I find it very interesting that our most trusted and loved animal companions are predators.  I guess when we were forming that ancient bond, dogs and cats were useful. Also, to be a successful predator they have to be smart which gives them personality.   Anyway, this is the second rabbit they have killed in the few years I've lived here and this incident had some interesting timing because I've actually been thinking of getting a pet rabbit.  A sign to tell me just how very bad of an idea that is?  Probably. Sigh....

It has just started to get serious about being cold here so the garden's days are numbered.  This weekend, I'll harvest most everything that hasn't yet and prep an area for planting garlic.  Today, I was able to gather a pretty respectable pile of carrots, a couple of beets, tomatoes and peppers.


LIFE


This!  Sometimes life is completely encapsulated by a Shakespeare quote.  But also this:



WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching
I am definitely in a cozy mystery sort of mood so I've drifted into watching one of my favorite historical mystery shows, Murdoch Mysteries.  It's a charming Canadian production about a  scientifically minded police detective in turn of the century Toronto.  It's totally goofy with scenes where Murdoch tries coffee as a "new phenomenon" and declares it terribly bitter and that it will never catch on. Ha, Ha, Ha.  There are some truly funny moments too which keep it light and the mysteries are really quite fun and interesting. One of my favorite things about the show is the character of Dr. Julia Ogden.  A love interest for Murdoch but more importantly a kick-ass feisty lady pathologist with an open mind who often challenges the otherwise progressive Murdoch.



Reading

I ran across this wonderful conversation between President Barack Obama and author Marilynne Robinson.  It's wonderful because they have very different viewpoints about the things they discuss but it is an intelligent, curious conversation.  I swear.  If Obama wasn't...you know...busy I totally think he'd be a book blogger:).

Finished Last Week:

  • Uprooted by Naomi Novik: This was a fine original fairy tale story but I didn't love it as much as many folks did. 
  • The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater:  This second book in the Raven Cycle was pretty good and I am looking forward to moving on to the third book in the series.  Maggie Stiefvater has definitely secured my affections.
  • Murder on Washington Square by Victoria Thompson (Book #4): As I said above, I am in a cozy mystery kind of mood and this historical mystery series set in turn of the century New York fits the bill very well. 

Currently Reading:

  • Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe: So maybe some day I'll pick this up again?  Until then it will sit here on the currently read and look encouraging.
  • The Founding (The Morland Dynasty #1) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles: This is the first book in a series that follows a single British family through numerous generations into modern times.  This first book takes place in the early 15th century.  This is such a fascinating idea and I have high hopes but I have to say the characters in this first book are shallow and are doing nothing for me.
  • Of Noble Birth by Brenda Novak:  Despite the presence of pirates it is not making me happy mostly because of deficient humor and boring main characters. 
  • Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey: Space Opera!
  • Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling:  Continuing my re-read of the series!
  • Murder on Mulberry Bend by Victoria Thompson:  Book 5 in the Gaslight Mystery series. It's still fulfilling my cozy mystery craving.
  • The Providence Rider by Robert McCammon: This is another favorite historical mystery series that is definitely NOT cozy and is set in colonial era New York.

Added to the TBR:

This is kind of a new thing I may try, listing books that get added to my Goodreads TBR list each week.  Maybe it will help burn them into my mind a little bit better, get them on some other folks TBRs and it will give me a chance to recognize a lot of the awesome bloggers that add stuff to my TBR!

  • Moonshine (Zephyr Hollis #1) and The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson:  The first book looks like an interesting vampire YA and the second a Summer King type story.  The tip for these books came with a recommendation of the author as a good diverse YA writer by Heather at Based on a True Story...
  • The Other Daughter by Lauren Willig: A historical romance set in 1920's Britain. From a review on You Book Me All Night Long
  • School for Sidekicks by Kelly McCullough:  A middle-grade book about a superhero school.  Not sure where I heard about this one but it looks kind of fun.   
  • Under the Dragon's Tail by Maureen Jennings:  # 2 in the Detective Murdoch series that the TV show Murdoch Mysteries is based on (see above).
  • A Vision of Light by Judith Merkle Riley: Margaret of Ashbury #1 - this is a historical fiction series that Goodreads.com recommended to me. 
  • Mechanica by Betsy Cornwell:  A fairy tale re-telling recommended to me by Selah from A Bibliophile's Style.
  • The Stowaway Debutante by Rebecca Diem: #1 in the Tales of the Captain Duke. A steampunk adventure recommended on Bibliosanctum.  
  • Delia's Shadow by Jaime Lee Moyer:  I can't remember where I heard about this one but it's a historical paranormal fantasy set in San Francisco.  It's the first in a series.
  • The Case of a Little Bloody Slipper (Spindle City Mysteries#1) by Carlie St. George: A noir, fairy tale inspired mystery series.  This is a a short story/novella being published by The Book Smugglers which is where I heard about it. 

Blogging 

On the BLOG LAST WEEK:

SUNDAY:  Re-read of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Thoughts on the book and it's movie after a second reading.
TUESDAY: Top Ten Tuesday |  Author Pairings and so much more.  The topic was to list which authors you'd like to see write a book together.  I listed a couple of those and then picked and chose from TTT topics from the last couple months.
THURSDAY:  Review of This Rough Magic by Mary Stewart. This was my first foray into Marry Stewart's Romantic Suspense novels and it was great.  This was also my 500th post!

On the BLOG NEXT WEEK:

SUNDAY:  A book review.  Likely The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black.
TUESDAY:  This week's Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, is about what wishes you might want fulfilled by a bookish genie! 
THURSDAY: Book Review probably of Cold Days (Dresden Files #14) by Jim Butcher.

That's all for me.  I wish everyone a fantastic week!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment