Saturday, August 1, 2015

Saturdays in the Garden - Living in a Mountain and Watching for Tigers

OUTSIDE

There is a good bit going on in the garden and it's a mix of good and bad.  Let's get the bad stuff out of the way first.  Probably the most heartbreaking is that all three of my Beam's Pear tomato plants are wilty, probably from one of the fungi that cause this - Verticillatum or Fusarium Wilt Fungus.  It is making me completely sad because I love the Beam's Pear and have been looking forward to them all summer.  My Juliet tomatoes don't seem to be affected (they're a franken-tomato variety, i.e. not an heriloom so likely engineered to be resistant) but I only really grow them for canning - they don't taste so good right off the vine. Probably because this is when problems really manifest there is even a great post on tomato diseases and problems on A Way to Garden this week. To add insult to injury, none of the plants are even producing that much.  It's just a bad tomato year in my garden.  Bah!!


I'm also pretty certain at this point that I won't be getting any zucchinis this year.  One of the hazards I've run into trying to grow cucurbits in a small space is pollination issues.  I can't usually grow very many plants of each which means there's a risk of there being too few male and female flowers blooming at the same time for pollination.  I think that has happened with my two zucchini plants sadly.  The upside is that my cucumbers seem to not have had this issue!  I know the leaves look wilted in the picture but they just needed some water.  They do appear to have a bit of powdery mildew however....

I also thinned out the carrots a bit and they are really doing well.  I usually do a crap job of growing carrots so it's a lovely surprise.  Also my first fully ripe Meyer lemon is ready to pick and it's got a new little lemon starting.


I'm the jerk carrot that looks robust at the soil line but is only 1" long.
Finally, last week I posted a picture of fluffy clouds floating in a blue sky.  This week we had two days with some crazy storms that produced dark, dark skies.  Also, today I spied on a couple of monarchs...ahem...while they busily produced the next generation.  The next generation in fact will be the one to migrate to Mexico!

LIFE

I've been lusting after RVs of late.  A strange thing perhaps but the thing is I have to travel for work on a regular basis and figuring out what to do with the dogs is always difficult (often times my travel is for field work that is weather dependent and can change at a moment's notice) and expensive.  Also, I think it would be easier and less expensive to travel and explore in general...with the dogs!...with an RV.  I really like the idea of a small RV instead of a trailer/camper that you have to tow because I just have a little Pontiac Vibe.  The thing is a) have you seen how expensive they are? and b) I have lots of logistics questions.  But look at this beauty:

Sigh.... Anybody out there have experience with using an RV?  What's your opinion of them?

WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching

I've continued on with my umpteenth re-watch of seasons 1-4 of Doctor Who.  Even though it's the umpteenth time, I am picking up nuances and such that I've missed before.  I've discovered how very much I really do love the ninth Doctor...sigh.  I just finished season two like 10 minutes ago and sobbed my eyes out once again at the end of Doomsday.  Oh, Rose.  *sniff*

Books

Finished Last Week:

  • Ghost Story (Dresden Files #13) by Jim Butcher: Harry is actually dead and a ghost in this one.  Clever Butcher, very clever.  In the end I quite liked this one. Better than Changes.
  • Angelfall by Susan Ee:  I picked this up and finished it in two days after seeing it highly recommended at Bibliosanctum.  It was good and I've already moved on to book two. 
  • Doctor Who: The Stone Rose, Doctor Who: The Feast of the Drowned, Doctor Who: Winner Takes All - The first two feature the Tenth Doctor and Rose and the third features the Ninth and Rose.  The two with the tenth Doctor were very short and I didn't particularly love The Feast of the Drowned.

Currently Reading:

  • Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe: So maybe some day I'll pick this up again?  Until then it will sit here on the currently read and look encouraging.
  • In the Garden of Iden by Kage Baker:  Immortal cyborgs in Elizabethan England!  Need I say more?
  • The Founding (The Morland Dynasty #1) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles: This is the first book in a series that follows a single British family through numerous generations into modern times.  This first book takes place in the early 15th century.  This is such a fascinating idea and I have high hopes but I have to say the characters in this first book are shallow and are doing nothing for me.  
  • The Neverending Story by Michael Ende: I've picked this one up again on audio. 
  • Cold Days by Jim Butcher: Listening to in the car.  This one is making me grit my teeth and want to hit something.  
  • World After by Susan Ee: The second book in the Penryn and the End of Days book. 

On the BLOG LAST WEEK:


SUNDAY: LONGMIRE - the second half of season 1. The second in a series of obsessive posts about this show.  Sorry. 
TUESDAY: Review of Howl's Moving Castle: Book and Movie
WEDNESDAY: Doctor Who - I finally get around to watching and reviewing the 50th anniversary episode and also babble on about some other whovian things.
THURSDAY: Tough Traveling: Flying Rides. A fun meme hosted by Fantasy Review Barn to explore all the beloved tropes of the SFF genre.

On the BLOG NEXT WEEK

SUNDAY: Third Longmire post featuring the first half of season 2.
TUESDAY: The Top Ten Tuesday topic this week is fairy tale re-tellings!! Woot Woot!  Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
WEDNESDAY:  Book Review TBD.  Probably Changes by Jim Butcher.
THURSDAY: The Tough Traveling meme this week is highlighting New Beginnings in Fantasy land.  Learn more over on Fantasy Review Barn.

I'll leave you with these words of wisdom I received in a fortune cookie this week:

Never set the tiger free if you live in the mountain*

* If you have any idea what this means I'd love to know.  How does one live "in" a mountain?  And what does that have to do with tigers?

No comments:

Post a Comment