Saturday, June 27, 2015

Saturdays in the Garden - Attacks! By Butterflies and Sharks.

OUTSIDE

I think I've mentioned before that I'm a Master Gardener.  While that sounds all boastful or at least like I know what I'm doing when it comes to plants and dirt, this couldn't be farther from the truth.  It really just means that I took a bunch of classes on gardening and then have been unleashed, along with a few other loosely affiliated folks, to perform gardening-related community service in my county.  This week we installed a pollinator garden at a local school with some native prairie plants  donated from the DNR's prairie seed production unit.  We planted it and promptly got ~6" of rain in the following 24 hours.  I've been afraid to go check on it.  Not to mention that it would have been better to get it in like three weeks ago but organizing people and preparing the site took some time.
Also this week we were beset by a plague of Red Admirals which is considerably more pleasant than a plague of locusts.  They're experiencing a population explosion and are truly everywhere. I left my car door open for two minutes while dashing back in the office for something I forgot and there were three fluttering around inside my car when I got back. 
The garden has continued to provide a bounty of sugar snap peas this week and teeny tiny green beans have started to emerge.  The first beginnings of some tomatoes have started even though the plants are still pretty small.  I also made some Garlic Scape/Basil pesto from the garden produce - yum!


LIFE

In less than a week I head east, first to Richmond then to the Outer Banks of North Carolina for a visit with family and friends.  It's been 2 or 3 years since I've been back and I am very happy to be seeing everyone and for spending a little time by the ocean which always seems to make everything better.  I love water and the ocean is always a physical reminder of how insignificant I am which somewhat counter-intuitively brings me peace.  I'm less peaceful about the fact that there was a shark attack this past week pretty much right where we are staying at the beach so not sure how much swimming I'll be doing.  Number one way I don't want to die?  Being a prey item.  


WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING


Yep!  You guessed it.  My Longmire obsession is STILL going strong.  I've just embarked on my 4th re-watch in a row but with the intent of writing some more detailed posts on the show.  Obviously I have some thoughts that need to be expressed so hopefully this will cure me ...at least until season 4 is released. 

Books

Things have picked up in the reading department after a brief slump.  This week I get to decide what I want to take with me on vacation!!  I would really like to chip away at some series that I'm in the middle of because I'm finding when I leave too big a time gap between reading a book and its predecessor my poor memory makes it a pretty frustrating experience.

Finished this week:

  • The Cold Dish by Craig Johnson: This is the first book in the Walter Longmire series of mysteries on which the show is based.  The books are quite different but equally awesome and very funny and well written.  I really loved it!
  • 10% Happier by Dan Harris: While this in no way has changed my life it was an interesting and satisfying read.
  • Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones: My first Diana Wynne Jones and I thoroughly enjoyed it!  Howl and Sophie are such perfectly imperfect characters.

Currently Reading:

  • Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe: I haven't picked this one up in a few weeks.  Good thing its not the type of book that will be hard to follow if it takes me a while to pick it up again.
  • Death Without Company (Longmire #2) by Craig Johnson:  I bought the first four books in the series as a package and will be devouring them. 
  • Changes (Dresden Files #12) by Jim Butcher: I'm not very far into this one yet but I have to admit it's coming as a bit of a rude awakening after the brilliance of Turn Coat.  We'll see where it's going....
  • Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels 5.5) by Ilona Andrews:  This "in between" book focuses on Kate's best friend Andrea.  I like Andrea but I am struggling with this book partially because of an irritating narrator on the audio version.

On the BLOG LAST WEEK:

I actually got a couple reviews posted and such.  Almost a normal week!

SUNDAY: Review of Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.  This book is amazing and will undoubtedly be at the top of my favorites for this year.
WEDNESDAY: Review of Nine Rules to Break when Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean.  Finally got to shout my love for MacLean!  If you like Regency romances I highly recommend giving her a try!
THURSDAY: Tough Traveling: Fathers.  Where I try to convince everybody that Disney's The Little Mermaid is a masterpiece exploring complex Father-Daughter relationships.  It is.  Seriously. 

On the BLOG NEXT WEEK

I hope to have a fairly normal week this week and then will be pretty much gone for all next week while I'm on vacation.  If I can get some things written up and scheduled, great, but more than likely the blog will be on vacation as well:0)!

SUNDAY: First Longmire post featuring first 5 episodes of season 1 or a review of Turn Coat.
TUESDAY: The Top Ten Tuesday topic is the top ten books of the year that we have read thus far.  Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
WEDNESDAY:  Book Review TBD.  
THURSDAY: The Tough Traveling meme is highlighting Fights for Independence in Fantasy land! Not a single one is coming to mind!  But if any do I will participate!  Learn more over on Fantasy Review Barn.

Have a great week (or two:0)!  May there be no shark attacks in your future!

No comments:

Post a Comment