Monday, May 11, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - Authors I'd Like to Meet

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme for bloggers who like books and lists. I'm inordinately fond of both.  It's awesome and is graciously hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

When I first saw this week's topic, "authors you most want to meet",  I thought I wouldn't be participating because I'm a weirdo and don't really want to interact with authors at all.  In fact, the less I know about them, the better.  As I contemplated this, however, I realized that there are a few authors I wouldn't mind getting to know.  And they're all dead.  Which is disappointing and a relief all at the same time.

I also would not want to meet any of these people at some kind of formal meet and greet.  I'd  just like to spend a casual weekend at a grand house with them ala England in the 1800s.  Play some whist together and have deep conversations about life over tea in the formal gardens.  Snipe with Jane about all the other ladies at the party, pick Will's brain about how on earth he was so prolific, laugh at all of Sam and Oscar's witticisms.  I need a Bill and Ted type intervention.

******************

Ahem... Here's the list:

1) William Shakespeare

He was probably a very interesting figure, particularly for 16th century Britain.  We know so little about him and there is even controversy over whether he really wrote all the plays attributed to him.  I'd love to just know more about him and his writing practices and what inspired him to write such divine works, so prolifically.  What made him tick! 

2) Jane Austen

I am fascinated by Jane's life.  What was it like be an unmarried woman during that time and did she have many regrets beyond dying so young?  Did she have any ideas for future books?  What were in all the letters to Cassandra that were burned?

3) Samuel Clemons aka Mark Twain

He had to have been a real character and I'd just like to know more about what he was like in person.

4) Maya Angelou

I have never actually read anything by her except some poetry but I did hear her speak in college and she was.... inspirational doesn't even come close.  She radiated wisdom and joy at life.  I feel like she could teach me how to do this whole life thing better. Still I rise


5) Aldo Leopold

Leopold is recognized as the father of modern Wildlife and Conservation biology.  I would love to learn from him.   Preferably it would be around a campfire in the north woods somewhere listening to the cry of loons and howls of wolves. 

6) Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde led a very interesting and colorful life and I therefore would likely be very intimidated by meeting him in person.  However,  I wouldn't mind being at the periphery of a party where he was holding court.  He was a famous wit and I think he would be very entertaining.   

7) Agatha Christie

This is another author whose life fascinates me - she even disappeared for a period of days and no one knows what happened to her.  On top of that she wrote prolifically about charming characters who investigated murder most foul all wrapped up in fantastic puzzles.  I'd love to know how her brain works. 

8) James Herriot aka James Wight

Was being a country vet in Yorkshire as charming as he makes it sound?  I'm pretty sure I could sit and listen to him reminisce about his veterinary adventures for hours. Preferably cozied up to a fire place in a rustic pub over a pint of cider. 

9) Edith Wharton

This lady had a lot of deep thoughts about the society she was a part of and she was best buds with Henry James, another favorite author of mine.  I think she would have some very interesting stories to tell and some insights on life that would be worth hearing.  And this is reminding me that I should seek out a good biography of her - anybody have a recommendation?

10) J.K. Rowling

I'll end the list with one living author that I'd love to hang out with.  She's had an interesting life and I know from her books that she is someone I would admire and would appreciate getting to know. 

*****************

I admire all these writers and find them intriguing in different ways but part of my interest in them is learning what it was like to be writer during the time they lived in.  As a rule I think writers tend to be very observant of people and of their culture and society which they inevitably reveal in their writing but it would be interesting to get more in depth with them in person. 

Whose the author you'd most be interested in meeting - Alive and Dead?  Am I the only person with an aversion to interacting, on a superficial level, with extant authors? 

No comments:

Post a Comment