Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - Where are They Now with Literary Characters

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme for bloggers who like books and lists.  It's awesome and is graciously hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's Top Ten Tuesday is about those characters that you would really like another glimpse at to see what they are up to after their printed story has been told.  I could pretty much list every fairy tale character ever because who isn't curious about what happens after the happily ever after? I expected making this list to be easy but it was really rather difficult, not least because there are a lot of series with characters I love that I am still in the middle of.  I definitely feel like I am missing MANY and look forward to seeing others' lists!


1) Mark Watney from The Martian by Andy Weir

This was my most recent book boyfriend and I am curious how Mark adjusts to life back on Earth as a celebrity botanist and astronaut.  It likely would not be as exciting a story as his sojourn on Mars but you never know and I for one would be happy to listen to him wax lyrical about various plants and wisecrack.

2) Poppy, Widget and Bailey from The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

I loved these three young characters from the book and would be interested in what happens to them and the circus as they become adults.

3) Flavia DeLuce from the mystery series of the same name by Alan Bradley

It is no secret that while I admire 12 year old Flavia she also annoys the crap out of me.  Would LOVE to meet her as an adult and hope she would be as interesting as she is as a child and not quite as irritating.

4) Mildred Lathbury from Excellent Women by Barbara Pym

In both books by Barbara Pym that I've read she has employed a vague foreshadowing type of ending  - only hinting at what might be in store for her main characters.  I really connected with Mildred and would like to know exactly how her life continues after Excellent Women.

5) Julian Kestrel from the mystery series of the same name by Kate Ross

This is one of my favorite historical mystery series which is set in regency era England.  Julian is an enigmatic nobleman/amateur sleuth who has four adventures before his author sadly died very young.  I have a feeling she had lots in store for Julian and I would definitely have loved to read about it.

6) Frances Crawford and Philippa from The Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnett

At the end of the Lymond Chronicles do these two crazy kids stop being 16th century international spies and settle down to a life on the old estate?  Surely not:).

7) Every Single Character from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

Duh!  We get a little peek at the kids' futures but it was almost cruel because it was brief and skipped so many intervening years. 

8) Cassandra Mortmain from I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

Cassandra is one of my favorite narrators of all time and we leave her at the end of I Capture the Castle with her having just made the transition from child to adult and learned a little about the reality of life.  It would be interested to see how she carries on and if she find happiness.

9) Sunshine from Sunshine by Robin McKinley

I love Sunshine as a character and would love to spend more time with her, hanging out while she made cinnamon buns.  

I think I will stop there.  Now to check out all the characters I missed!  Any you would have included?

No comments:

Post a Comment