Saturday, March 14, 2015

Saturdays in the Garden - Squeaking Along

OUTSIDE
It is 65 degrees fahrenheit outside right now, the birds are starting to sing and some of the migrants are starting to show up.  Huge flocks of snow geese are heading north.  It feels like the world is waking up though everything is still very brown. 

The warm up is making me panicky about how behind I am on my starts etc... I'm planning on getting a second shelving unit and some lights tomorrow and then hopefully getting a bunch of other plants started this week, including tomatoes and peppers!  My current starts are doing pretty well though a number of my marigolds didn't germinate and a LOT of my sensitive plant seeds didn't which is pretty typical. 

This is how my current starts look:












LIFE

I've felt much better this week compared to last though I'm still only about 80% and have been crawling into bed at 8:00 every night.  My advice:  Don't get the Flu. 

It was a busy week at work catching up with everything but I felt good with what I had accomplished.  Today I taught my first workshop of the year to train folks to monitor Bald Eagle nests and Colonial Waterbird rookeries.  It's exhausting for me to keep things high energy all day (it's a 5 hour class) but the people who come are generally fantastic and it's heartening to meet folks so fascinated and excited about wildlife!

READING, WATCHING and BLOGGING

I haven't been doing much besides working and sleeping but I've still been sporadically watching seasons of M*A*S*H.  I'm out of the first three seasons with the original cast and it doesn't quite have the same verve.  It's still pretty horribly sexist though. 

Reading wise, I did manage to finish Sheepfarmer's Daughter by Elizabeth Moon.  It ended up being okay but a little tedious.  After finishing that, I started listening to my first Stephanie Laurens romance novel, Devil's Bride which is okay but it's not really my romance cup of tea - the hero is an extreme Alpha male and I feel like the heroine is inconsistent in her characterization.  I am also still reading Zenn Scarlet by Christian Schoon and The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons but haven't done a ton of reading this week. 

The blog was pretty much silent this week while I concentrated on flu recovery, both health wise and catching up with work but I am hoping to get on a more regular schedule next week.

Last Week on the Blog:
Nada

Next Week on the Blog:

SUNDAY: I wish my life was a musical
TUESDAY: Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and The Bookish this week is the Spring TBR.  These are fun because I can review my previous season's TBR and see how few of those books I actually followed through and read:0).
WEDNESDAY:  Review of The Mermaid's Child by Jo Baker.
THURSDAY: Tough Traveling (hosted by Fantasy Review Barn) this week is Bards.  I'm kind of bummed I missed out on Vampires and the Fae:0(.

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.

R.I.P Sir Terry.

No comments:

Post a Comment