Thursday, January 1, 2015

2015 Read Harder Challenge

Book Riot Read Harder Challenge

The word eclectic is not used anywhere but this is very similar to the Eclectic Reader Challenge in that it is meant to help broaden what one reads.  I am definitely attracted to these kinds of challenges though they don't seem like a natural fit.  I'm a mood reader and have trouble forcing myself to read anything.  But it's good to push oneself, right?  I am overlapping books on this challenge and the Eclectic Reader Challenge as much as possible which makes me feel like I am kind of defeating the purpose but there are a number of categories that don't overlap so it does end up being 26 books overall between the 12 categories for the ERC and the 24 categories for this challenge. 

Here are the tasks and what I intend to read for each category, subject to change on a whim of course.  I left one category open, #18 A book that someone else has recommended to you, because I know I will get a lot of recommendations over the next year and want to go with the flow. I didn't double up within either challenge - each task/category gets its own book.  When possible, I've tried to overlap the list with books I already own and with my 100 Books Project.  I am organized this year, y'all! It may all go horribly, delightfully wrong:0)!

One final comment  - if there are links within the task text those are Book Riot's links that provide ideas for that particular task so check those out if you are interested.  Also, book links go to Goodreads.

24 Tasks
  1. A book written by someone when they were under the age of 25 
  2. A book written by someone when they were over the age of 65
  3. A collection of short stories (either by one person or an anthology by many people
  4. A book published by an indie press
  5. A book by or about someone that identifies as LGBTQ
  6. A book by a person whose gender is different from your own
  7. A book that takes place in Asia
  8. A book by an author from Africa
  9. A book that is by or about someone from an indigenous culture (Native Americans, Aboriginals, etc.)
  10. A microhistory 
  11. A YA novel
  12. A sci-fi novel
  13. A romance novel
  14. A National Book Award, Man Booker Prize or Pulitzer Prize winner from the last decade
  15. A book that is a retelling of a classic story (fairytale, Shakespearian play, classic novel, etc.)
  16. An audiobook
  17. A collection of poetry
  18. A book that someone else has recommended to you
    • OPEN
  19. A book that was originally published in another language
  20. A graphic novel, a graphic memoir or a collection of comics of any kind (Hi, have you met Panels?)
  21. A book that you would consider a guilty pleasure (Read, and then realize that good entertainment is nothing to feel guilty over)
  22. A book published before 1850
  23. A book published this year
  24. A self-improvement book (can be traditionally or non-traditionally considered “self-improvement”)
Right!  Better get reading.  I think I'm going to curl up with Mr. Kiss and Tell - some tawdry pseudo-noir mystery sounds lovely.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment