Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday - Holiday Gifts for My Favorite Characters of 2014

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme for bloggers who like books and lists.  It's awesome and is graciously hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

The topic this week was the Top Ten Books we wouldn't mind receiving from Santa but I feel like I've already gone on ad nauseum about the books I'm looking forward to so you can just assume - all of them.

I decided to see if I could come up with a book and other gifts that I might like to give to some of my favorite characters encountered this year. The idea was sparked by this article on Bustle.com - 11 gifts for the fictional characters on your list. It took some brain power which is at a low ebb right now so I only came up with seven. 

1) Kate Daniels from Ilona Andrew's Kate Daniel's Series (Magic Bites, Magic Burns, Magic Strikes, Magic Bleeds

BOOK:  The Thousand Dollar Tan Line by Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham because I think Kate would like and admire Veronica Mars' moxie and fight.
OTHER: Sword polish and several tons of catnip.

2) Cinder from the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer (Cinder, Scarlet, Cress)

BOOK:  The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams- she might get some good tips and the girl could use a laugh right about now.
OTHER:  A tiara and a new toolbox.
Source

3) Yarvi from Half a King by Joe Abercrombie

BOOK:  The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis because I think Yarvi would appreciate the religious allegory and might enjoy an escape into a gentler kind of fantasy.
OTHER:  A dog (because he could use some loyal friends right about now).

4) Peter McCullough from The Son by Phillipp Meyer

BOOK:  Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed because he could use some nice, non-judgmental advice and some cheering up.
OTHER:  Several blank journals and some canvas and paint.

5) Anne Edwards from The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell

BOOK:  The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot - Anne's a doctor and this is the kind of book she'd love and that would make her spitting mad.
OTHER: A bottle of wine, some Chamomile Tea and a safe trip home.
NOTE:  I can not believe I somehow passed over this book and that it didn't make onto my ten best of the year list.  It most definitely should have.  Sorry Mary Doria Russell - you deserve better than my ineptitude!


6) Mark Watney from The Martian by Andy Weir

BOOK: Life of Pi by Yann Martel  - at least he's not stranded on Mars with a "tiger"
OTHER:  All 7 seasons of MacGyver and the "Best of Abba" (since he so loved the disco).


7) Shara Divani from City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett

BOOK:  The Rook by Daniel O'Malley.  I think Shara would see a lot to recognize in Myfanwy from the The Rook and would enjoy reading about her adventures.  Alternatively Mythology by Edith Hamilton.
OTHER:  A lifetime supply of tea and a masseuse.

That's all for me! So what were some of the favorite characters you encountered in 2014 and what book would you pick out to give to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment