Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten Characters that Deserve their Own Books

It's Tuesday which means it's time for fun lists of books courtesy of The Broke and the Bookish.  Their topic this week is The Top Ten Characters You Wish Would Get Their Own Book which is a pretty fun idea and per usual has made me think.  My brain appreciates the exercise though it feels like it has probably failed miserably!


1. Karrin Murphy from the Dresden Files By Jim Butcher:
Murphy, as she is most frequently called by Harry Dresden, is the cop who has to frequently put up with his wisecracking wizard ass.  She's tough and smart and stays open-minded while not getting too mired into the fantasy.  I love her. Mr. Butcher.  Please write a book from her perspective. Thank you. 


2. Poppet and Widget in The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
I read and loved this book earlier this year and was especially intrigued by the magical twins born on the first night of the circus, Poppet and Widget.  They play a pretty large role in the story and get some time to shine but I wouldn't mind hearing more about them and their lives after the conclusion  of Celia and Marco's duel.
Illustration of Europe by D.M. Cornish

3. Europe from the Monster Blood Tattoo series by D.M. Cornish
This is a middle grade fantasy series that kind of blew my mind earlier this year with it's creativity.  The book focuses on Rossamund Bookchild, a young lamplighter and factotum but the character that really ended up sparking my interest was the enigmatic Europe, Duchess of Naimes.  I'd love to have a more adult book focused on her. 

4. Mabel Rose from The Diviners by Libba Bray
I had seriously conflicted feelings about this book mostly because the main character, Evie, drove me up a wall.  She's a major extrovert party girl who is always trying to drag her less daring, more subdued friend Mabel out to speakeasys.  I identified a LOT more with Mabel and wish she had been the main protagonist.

5. Mary Bennet from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Mary is the middle child of the Bennet family and the one that comes off the most priggish and annoying when she's not being completely ignored.  I actually just finished a book that focuses on her (The Pursuit of Mary Bennet by Pamela Mingle) which was okay but certainly not the same as if we had heard from Ms. Austen herself.

6. Marianne Dashwood from Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
 In a similar vein to the above, I believe Marianne gets a bad rap.  Sure she acts kind of foolish and can be self-absorbed but she's spirited and true to her feelings.  She's not wicked and her side of he story, old in her perspective would be just as interesting as Elinors.


7. All the Fairy Tale Villains of all time
I adore a good fairy tale or other iconic story turned on its head and told from the villain's perspective ala the fabulous Wicked by Gregory Maguire or Alias Hook by Lisa Jensen  released earlier this year that tells Captain Hook's story.  I want stories, multiple of them, about them all.  Please.


8. Severus Snape, Albus Dumbledore, Hermione from Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
J.K. Rowling was so great at creating characters for this series it is hard to know where to go.  I'd love to get a book or series about Snape first but Dumbledore, Hermione, maybe even McGonigle would be awesome as well. 
I would really love to credit this art but can't find the origin of the picture!

9. The Darkling from the Grisha Series by Leigh Bardugo
He is definitely the most interesting character in the books and seems to have a fascinating back story.


10. Jean Tannen from The Gentleman Bastard Series by Scott Lynch
So Locke may be the one with all the charisma but Jean is strong and steady and interesting in his own right.  I realized I wanted to have more about him after he got a little attention of his own in Red Seas under Red Skies.  And he fights like a devil with two axes while being pretty conflicted about it. 

That's it for this week's list.  I know I am missing a bunch so I'll be excited to see everyone elses lists!


No comments:

Post a Comment