Monday, May 12, 2014

Bout of Books - Goals and Introduction

Bout of BooksTime for the Bout of Books Read-A-Thon! And time to set some goals for the week.

Goal 1: Boy oh Boy is my nightstand loaded up with books so I think my first goal will be to get some of them off the nightstand. Pretty vague but I'm not sure how many I can get through. These are on the list:

A) Faery Lands Forlorn by Dave Duncan:  I have this from on Inter-library Loan so it has a hard due date.  I read the first in this series (A Man of His Word series) last fall and my library only had books one and 3.

B) I'd like to read the five graphic novels sitting on the nightstand.  The first four volumes in Hill and Rodrigues' Locke and Key series and the second in Brian K. Vaughn's Y: The Last Man series.

C) I have the Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey on Audio.

D) I also still have two books left over from Dewey's Read-A-Thon:
One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson and
Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo

E) I've got three Arcs sitting on my kindle:
City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett from Crown Publishing
Half a King by Joe Abercrombie from Random House Del Rey
Alias Hook by Lisa Jensen from St. Martin's Press

F) Finally, I have two fun looking non-fiction books.
Why We Love the Dogs that We Do by Stanley Coren ('cause they're freaking adorable?)
Founding Gardeners by Andrea Wulf (History AND Gardening -be still my beating heart)




Obviously, I won't get anywhere near to finishing all of these but I think I will tackle them in this order. I found out during Dewey's Read-A-Thon that I am a particularly slow reader.  Which leads to...

Goal 2: I think my slow reading is because multitasking is turning my brain to mush.  I can no longer focus.  I'm going to work on that this week.  During the times I set aside to read, the computer, the tablet, the phone are all going to be in another room.

Goal 3: I also want to set aside some time to explore and connect with some new blogs, so I will try to visit as many as possible throughout the Bout of Books.

I think that's it.  Let the reading begin!

DAY 1-3 UPDATE

So my Read-A-Thon is not going as well as I planned.  Too many other things going on but I have been trying to get in reading when I can.  One stroke of luck is that I've had some relatively mindless tasks to do at work so I've mostly been getting in a lot of audio booking.  I've gotten through most of Wool by Hugh Howey on audio and also a little of Factotum by D.M. Cornish. I've also read a couple volumes of the Locke and Key Graphic novels and made a little progress in Faerylands Forlorn by Dave Duncan.



Day 1: MONDAY
Minutes Listened: 156
Listened To:  130 minutes - Wool by Hugh Howey, 26 minutes Factotum by D.M. Cornish
Pages Read: 158 pages Graphic Novel, 21 Pages text
Books Read: Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill and The Faerylands Forlorn by Dave Duncan
Books Finished: Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill
Comments:  Holy Moley The Locke and Key series is AMAZING!  The first volume was emotional and gripping and clever and the artwork is stunning.  Highly recommend! 

Day 2: TUESDAY
Minutes Listened: 236
Listened To: 11 minutes of Factotum by D.M. Cornish, 225 minutes of Wool by Hugh Howey
Pages Read: 83 pages Graphic Novel
Books Read: Head Games by Joe Hill
Books Finished: None
Comments:  Wool is a super fun dystopian story.  Narrator kinda sucks though. 

Day 3: WEDNESDAY
Minutes Listened: 231
Listened to:  220 minutes of Wool by Hugh Howey, 11 Minutes of Factotum by D.M. Cornish
Pages Read: 61 (Graphic Novel)
Books Read: Head Games by Joe Hill
Books Finished: Head Games by Joe Hill
Comments:  The Locke and Key series continues to be creative and awesome.  Almost done with Wool.

No comments:

Post a Comment