Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Top Ten Books that Bring on the Weepies


This week's charge from the Broke and the Bookish is to list the top ten books that have made me cry.  I'm actually pretty susceptible to the ole waterworks, so plenty of books will make me weepy.  Unfortunately this means that me crying at a book isn't particularly memorable. Here are a few that have been:

1) Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

This is perhaps not a book you would naturally think of as a weeper but I had a very strong reaction to one particular scene in this book when I read it in high school.  It's a dream sequence and there is some pretty hardcore animal cruelty which is something I have no tolerance for.  I was crying so hard up in my room that my dad came up from downstairs to see what on earth was the matter.

2) The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe  by C.S. Lewis

Aslan being jeered at and executed.  Pretty horrifying and sad.   Kind of goes along with the not enjoying animal cruelty theme above.

3) The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Sparks

Again with the animal cruelty.  This book starts with a horrible accident with a horse that was really upsetting to me.  I finished the book but have avoided Nicholas Sparks ever since.    

4) An Incomplete Revenge (Maisie Dobbs #5) by Jacqueline Winspear

This is the most recent book I've cried at and not because it's a particularly sad book. However it does have a death bed scene which I am particularly sensitive to, having gone through being with both my parents when they died.  I don't even have to care about the person dying, it just brings on a wash of empathy or something.  I was listening in the car to this on the way to work when the waterworks started and I had to kind of clean myself up before walking into work and making everybody think I was crazy(er). :0)
This cover does not prepare you for what's inside

5) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

This may be my favorite in the Harry Potter series and I remember being caught completely off guard by Cedric Diggory's death at the end.  It was so sudden and I didn't expect Rowling to go there.  It affected me more than the other sad deaths in this series, I think because it was so unexpected. 



And I think that's it.  I even looked at a list of "Books that make you cry" on Goodreads and there are a number that I've read that I remember being sad but don't really remember that I cried.  I most likely did.  Because I usually do.  But I'm more anxious to see what everybody else sobbed at! Yay for sobbing!

4 comments:

  1. GAH! The Horse Whisperer! You know, I thought I'd managed to not read a single Nicholas Sparks book, I'd forgotten that was one of his. I actually quite liked it (and it also made me cry), despite my unfounded prejudice against Nicholas Sparks haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like the Horse Whisperer but share your unfounded prejudice against Nicholas Sparks. :0) Not sure what that's about!

      Delete
  2. New follower! I love that you included The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. Especially with the symbolism, it makes everything Aslan goes through so much more meaningful.

    TTT
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes to The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. I cry when Aslan is tortured, too. And I don't want to read books in which animals or people are tortured, or horrible things are done to children.

    ReplyDelete